We have covered a lot about Android L here on T3CHSMASH such as installing, and a general overview of the entire Operating System. When I installed Android L on my Nexus 5 to make an overview video for you guys, I gave up something really huge (for me) which was root. Since then, an official root has been released for Android L and it takes literally less than 3 minutes to perform!
This article will show you the fastest way to root Android L.
DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible if you damage your device in any way trying to do this, regardless of if you follow these instructions exactly or not. Continue at your OWN risk.
To perform this root, you need one simple download which is available below.
Nexus 5 users click here
Nexus 7 or other users click here
In this method I will be assuming you’re using Windows.
1. Download and extract the zip file to your desktop.
2. Reboot your device into bootloader mode by turning it off, and then holding Volume Down while powering it back on.
3. Connect your device to your computer via USB cable.
4. Browse to the “Tools” folder in the extracted folder that you downloaded, hold SHIFT + Right Click and choose “Open Command Window Here”.
5. Run the command “fastboot devices”. This will ensure that your device is connected and recognized properly. Once you see your device showing up (as demonstrated in the video below), you can continue on to the next step.
6. Head back to the root of the folder you downloaded and run the “root-windows.bat” file.
This will bring up a warning. If your device has an unlocked bootloader, you can hit any key to continue rooting the device. To run Android L in the first place, you would have had to unlock your bootloader. So, unless you re-locked it after, you’re good to go. If you DID re-lock it, you must run the OEM unlock command which WILL wipe ALL your data.
7. Hit any key to go through with rooting the device.
8. Hit any key to close the window.
You’re done! That’s how easy it is to root Android L. You can download an app such as Root Checker from the Google Play Store to make sure everything went as planned. If you experience any problems while trying to root your device, feel free to ask questions in the comments below or in the Forum Section. If these written steps aren’t clear enough, feel free to check out the video below.
Happy rooting! If you haven’t installed the Android L developer preview on your device yet and would like to test it out, check out our recent post here which will guide you through the steps of doing so.